Friday, January 11, 2013

Oxford Application: Submitted!

I'm one more step closer to studying at Oxford. After the post-Rhodes flurry, and final papers, and then traveling internationally for the entire winter break, I sat down this week to get serious about finishing my statement of purpose and other supplementary materials for my time at Oxford. In accordance with my original plans, I've decided to apply to a one-year M.St. program in English literature, focusing on the time period post-1900. Though my original plans also included a second one-year program focusing in comparative social policy, I've started to waver a bit on that program - but the good news is that I've got time to decide what to do after the first year in Oxford! I need only apply to my first academic program at this point, and future options could include pursuing my English studies to the D.Phil level or choosing another of Oxford's many one-year M.St. programs to give my education greater breadth. I'm a big advocate of well-roundedness both academically and personally, so it's comforting to know that I'll have great options whatever I do. Current possibilities include history and policy, so we'll see what happens...

In the end, perhaps the most tempting aspect of the application to fret over was my selection of an Oxford college. Opinions about this part of the process vary, from the nonchalant (all Oxford colleges are wonderful, and you'll be happy wherever you go; it has very little bearing on your Rhodes experience) to the more insistent (your choice of college is one of the most important aspects of studying in Oxford). Ultimately, I chose to go with a combination of the two elements, as I stopped overanalyzing all of Oxford's dozens of colleges for that perfect mix of location/academics/style/demographics (a daunting task especially for an American still unaccustomed to the British education system), but still considered some elements bound to influence my time in Oxford. Here are a couple:

I trust that I'll meet neat and intelligent people wherever I go, so I stopped myself from paralysis by overanalysis on that front. I avoided some of the more traditionally aristocratic or upper-class colleges, but didn't discriminate on demographics beyond that. I'd like to go to a more quintessentially "Oxford" college, with old architecture and a long history, so I crossed the newer ones off my list. (In many cases, "newer" included schools older than Stanford!) I ruled out the smaller colleges, simply to have a bigger range of people to meet in college - after going to a school the size of Stanford, even if not nearly as large as some of the public institutions in the U.S., I doubt that I'll find the size of any one Oxford college too overwhelming, and I also didn't want to feel closed-in with a small bunch of people. I knew I wanted to go to a college with both graduate and undergraduate students, so didn't consider the colleges with only grad students. Location mattered a little, too: I didn't want to be too far out of the heart of Oxford, but also didn't want to be boxed in near, say, the Bodelian library area and city center, especially since I remember how many tourists roam there! Finally, a confession: I do want to be comfortable, and do want to make my Rhodes stipend go as far as possible since I'd like to travel in Europe over academic breaks during my two years at Oxford, so having the support of a wealthier college (which can include additional stipends, funding for books and athletics, etc.) would be appreciated. Perhaps to no surprise to some Oxford-savvy people, I settled on St. John's College, especially after talking to a few other Rhodes scholars who have gone there. It's nice, large, wealthy, has a good academic reputation, is central to Oxford but not too central, has options in case I change my academic plans totally for a second M.St., and so forth. Plenty of other Oxford colleges could have been an equally good match, but as I said - I also didn't subscribe to the belief that my college would be one of the most important defining factors in my Oxford experience. I'll be fine wherever I go.

And, with that decision made and with new, more academically-focused personal statement written and Rhodes application materials recycled, I submitted my application this morning. I've been questioning myself about it for weeks, especially with one nagging doubt swimming in my mind (what if I got the Rhodes but can't even get into Oxford?), but still feel good to have it off my list. Plus, after months of introspection and analyzing my personal goals while preparing for the Rhodes, it wasn't nearly as difficult this time around to express my ambitions on the page. That's one benefit of this entire experience already, and as for the rest - we will see!

No comments:

Post a Comment