Monday, July 14, 2014

Sliding into Oxford Summer

Another step toward feeling more at home in England: navigating the NHS and getting a referral to the local audiology/cochlear implant clinic in Oxford, then going in for an annual cochlear implant remapping today. Score! More on that here:

http://perceptionunearthed.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/four-years.html

Other than the above and other miscellaneous tasks/errands, the next two weeks will consist of catching my breath, as well as reading and writing, in Oxford until my family comes out to visit at the end of next week. I've got several writing projects that I'm starting to work on this summer, and am hoping to use my time to be truly productive. The pace around Oxford is much slower, fewer friends are around (but there are still more hiding in the cracks around this hobbit-hole in the UK than one would think, and besides Oxford is currently swarming with summer tourists and international high school kiddies), and the weather, for the most part, is actually fine and lovely. I'm enjoying being free from the pressure of impending academic deadlines to take the writing summer I've wanted to have for a few years now. It's also nice to take time to do things I don't usually do around Oxford, such as taking two hours the other night to walk up the canals and think after dinner.




All is well and sleepy in this part of the UK, so don't expect too many updates until after the Grand Kolb Family Summer Trip culminates in mid-August. Also, just saying, I have compiled a massive summer reading list but am always up for recommendations...

No comments:

Post a Comment