Friday, November 1, 2013

A British All Hallows' Eve

Happy Halloween! A day late, but then it's practically still Halloween in California at the time I'm writing this, so who's counting? (Also, is it Halloween or Hallowe'en? The British seem to prefer the latter in many cases, so I'm currently a little confused.)

In celebration of the holiday, which actually doesn't seem to go as gangbusters here in the UK as it does in America, a bunch of friends and I crashed the Brasenose College Halloween bop with our costumes (a few people in our group were actually from Brasenose; the rest of us pretended we were and sat in the bar and enjoyed the free drinks). I decided to go as a scarecrow, prompted by a little help on costume ideas/shopping/accessories from one of my good friends here, and put the finishing touches on my costume with a sheaf of wheat that I found at the Covered Market here in Oxford. The result meant that I was dropping wheat stalks wherever I walked, including into other people's faces or drinks, and that I smelled like wheat the entire night, but at least I was hearty and wholesome? (And at least I did get many compliments, which was a big deal for this normally not-so-creative dresser-upper?) The British students either didn't dress up at all, or dressed up in the mysterious and prevalent animal onesies that seem to emanate from one of the stores in the Oxford shopping center, or dressed up as scary things -- for them, Halloween means blood and gore and creatures that go "bump" in the night. Our American ensemble was rather tame in comparison:




Now on to November, which has somehow arrived already! How have I spent an entire month in Oxford thus far? It's been an incredible, incredible adventure, and I want time to quit passing so quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment