It was one year ago today that I woke up on a Sunday morning in Colorado Springs and let the realization sink in, or try to: I had just gotten a Rhodes scholarship the night before, and I would be heading to Oxford to begin my studies the next fall. It was also one year ago that, on the way back to Albuquerque with my head spinning and trying to make sense of the new direction my life had taken, I started writing this blog.
The details of that day, that weekend, and of that entire interview process stand out in my memory in a way equalled by only a few other days in my life. Over the last few weeks at Oxford, I've had the chance to talk with several other Rhodies about their interviews, about those first few days of astonishment and disbelief, and now I'm thinking of this year's newly elected class and finding myself transported back in time. How much has happened since that interview weekend in November 2012, how much I have changed, and how much has yet to happen as I continue down this path. I'm taking a few minutes today to reflect on the journey, and quite honestly to be thankful for all its opportunities, both the ones I've already had and the ones that lie ahead. Once again, I'm hoping I can embrace this experience to its fullest, and use it for its utmost good. I think the shock and exhilaration and disbelief of that Sunday morning in 2012 is still with me, at least a little.
No comments:
Post a Comment