Remember, remember!
The fifth of November
The gunpowder treason and plot,
I know of no reason
Why the gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot...
And it still hasn't been forgot, indeed, judging by the droves of people who still turn out for fireworks and bonfires over the course of the week around November fifth. The actual Guy Fawkes holiday wasn't the only day for festivities; from Halloween and last Friday night (November 1) through last night (November 9), I saw no fewer than four fireworks displays around Oxford, with many other "pops" and "bangs" thrown in, indicating that yet more were taking place as I went about other activities. (The first time I was in my room and heard this telltale banging, I thought I was going mad because I couldn't figure out what the sound was, much less where it was coming from. Then I opened my window -- ah, mystery solved.) There were also several bonfires around town, the largest one being a charity bonfire last night in a large park by Headington, a short walk out of Oxford.
So, last night a few good friends and I headed over to watch the marquee Guy Fawkes fireworks display and bonfire. On the ninth of November rather than the fifth, but who's counting? To be honest, the fireworks display we'd had at St. John's last week had been a bit, erm, disappointing (think one small firework being ignited at a time, over the course of only around 10 minutes). An American friend and I spent much time afterwards bemoaning and joking about this diminished British version of fireworks, but last night we found ourselves far more satisfied -- the fireworks were spectacular, even if we had to stand around in the cold for half an hour waiting for the marshals to set them up or figure them out (or something), and immediately afterward the bonfire began to blaze. I'd been to this same event my last time at Oxford (as had another friend of mine who studied abroad with her university; our mutual/separate memories of our time abroad make for some good conversation), and admittedly it had been more impressive then, with a huge wooden effigy to set on fire in addition to the enormous stack of pallets. But by that time we were so cold that we just gazed at the gulping flames for a few minutes, got closer to see if we could feel the heat (it was radiating everywhere), took a few photos, and then skedaddled to, where else, a pub to warm up. I can't say I understand the reason for celebrating Guy Fawkes Day, even three years after I first celebrated it in the UK, but if it makes for some cozy nights and bonding experiences, all the better.
No comments:
Post a Comment