Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving!

To the Americans reading this (which, I suspect, is virtually my entire readership): happy Thanksgiving! I'm glad to say that the Thanksgiving spirit is alive and well in Oxford, since a bunch of Americans, including me, have been planning a big Turkey Day dinner at Rhodes House for this evening. The planning extended all the way through last night and this morning, with last-minute preparations for buying and making mulled wine, but it should be a fantastic day with fantastic company. Added bonus: all of us on the organizing committee get to put "organizing/planning/cooking a Thanksgiving meal for 150" on our resumes. What more could we want?

Planning the meal has been a great way to connect with other people here in Oxford (nothing like those shared organizational escapades to form friendships, as I found at Stanford), but aside from that I'm using today to reflect upon how very much I have to be thankful for. I'm thinking of my family today and wishing I could be back in New Mexico with them for some Kolb shenanigans and appropriately green-chile-themed dishes, but I'm also incredibly happy to be in Oxford. The last year has been more than I could have asked for or imagined, and I'm feeling very blessed to have all the people, the opportunities, and the adventures and insights that I currently have in my life. To anyone reading this: thanks for the role you've played in getting me here, and may your reflections and your day be as full of gratitude and joy. My heart is full -- and soon my stomach will be, too, as much food as we have sitting in the kitchen waiting to be cooked...

No comments:

Post a Comment