Interesting times to be in Washington, DC, indeed... The government shutdown is on everyone's lips, and much of the conversation yesterday involved speculations about whether Congress would actually manage to pass a budget resolution by midnight.
Alas, it did not, and because of the shutdown the group of us Rhodies couldn't make our breakfast at the U.S. Capitol this morning (nor our lecture at the Library of Congress). Instead, a group of current and former senators came to talk to us at our hotel at Dupont Circle, and we stuck around that area of town for much of the morning. Getting to talk to some senators, all of them Rhodes scholars, about the current fiscal crisis and political gridlock in Congress was a fascinating experience, especially in light of the immediate political atmosphere. Sen. David Vitter, before rushing back to the Capitol to participate in the latest budget measure vote, said that he "did not have a crystal ball" and didn't know how long the shutdown would last, but pointed out that he would be shocked if it dragged on and affected the average citizen beyond what appears on the news. Former Sens. Richard Lugar and Paul Sarbanes were less concerned with downplaying the situation and defusing alarm, on the other hand, and engaged in some very candid discussion of the increasingly dysfunctional mode of American government and the need for strong leadership, wherever those talents come from. "Not all of us can be brilliant writers, so some of us become senators..." That line made me smile.
The week thus far has been full of similarly thoughtful conversations, from our visit to the White House Eisenhower Executive Office Building and the World Bank yesterday, to our many receptions with Rhodes alumni at various locations throughout Washington. Engaging in serious, intellectually-driven conversations, whether those take place at receptions or informal gatherings or formal events, seems to be at the core of this Oxford experience and Rhodes community. And, following that thought, I am finding myself enjoying such constant conversation more than I expected myself to. One of the board members of the American Association of Rhodes Scholars chatted with me the other day about the pleasure of cultivating that vanishing art of deep conversation, rather than small talk or pointless discussions. I know I can still do more to improve those skills, and am looking forward to fostering them in myself over the next few years. Plus, I was very, very excited to meet Nicholas Kristof in person on Sunday (!!), and a new Rhodes friend of mine saw Walter Isaacson (author of several well-known biographies, on Steve Jobs and Albert Einstein and others) at the reception at the British deputy ambassador's house last night. We also think we saw Karl Rove on the street in Washington today.
Tomorrow is our last day in Washington (and stateside) before we fly to Heathrow and journey out to Oxford. I'm headed to one last group dinner at a local Rhodes alum's home tonight, and then will attend a send-off luncheon with the other scholars tomorrow en route to our travels abroad. It's been a whirlwind week, and will be strange to leave America to begin this new adventure -- particularly in the middle of such confounding political drama. We walked through the National Mall this afternoon to do some sightseeing, and saw several protesters out on the streets. Once we reached the National Mall itself and walked out to the Lincoln Memorial, we found this:
Thanks, Congress. At least I made it out for my own visit earlier this week. And (as hard as it is to say this), at least I'm taking a little break from America for a while. I love my country, but I am looking forward to exploring other places in the world and reflecting on the purpose and the values of the United States from another perspective. Stay sane, America, please. Or try to. See you in December.
No comments:
Post a Comment