This just made my day: Oxford, rather appropriately, has a Harry Potter club. That divides you into Houses. And that plays Quidditch. And meets throughout this strange place that really ought to be called Hogwarts. What could be better??
This, and many other clubs and societies, was on offer this morning at the always-crazy Oxford University Student Union freshers' fair -- aka Stanford activities fair on steroids. Set in the examination schools building, freshers' fair is a crush of people navigating hundreds of tables with free giveaways and club sign-ups and overeager club officers getting in your face with pitches for why you should join. A very different affair than Stanford's laid-back version... Anyway, the options on tab included caving, fencing, pentathlon, a Gregorian Chant club (??), a tea lover's club (no, seriously), a bibliophiles' club (but of course; this is Oxford), and dozens of others I can't remember. The things Oxford students spend their time doing or thinking about are blowing my mind.
I'm still deliberating over what to join or what I'll have time for, but the next few days should bring a little more clarity. Or at least I hope, since the last few days have been an absolute blur and, as fun as it's all been, I'd really like to settle into a semi-normal routine, curl up and read, do my work, grab copious cups of tea with friends, and do various other exciting things for fun when I can. Please?
No comments:
Post a Comment