Today I seriously saw a professor riding through Oxford on a bicycle who looked just like Dumbledore!
And, aside from that, I had my postgraduate induction at the English faculty this afternoon (read: incoming grad student orientation at the English department). May I just say, this year is going to be a sprint, through all of the material, and during Oxford's incredibly short terms besides. I can barely see over the mountainloads of reading ahead of me, but I'm preparing to plunge right in. Starting with several theoretical/critical essays on modernism. Here we go.
Final side note: after the induction activities, we had yet another "meet and greet" mixer with free food and copious drinks. Such an Oxford thing. I found myself recognizing who was American almost immediately, based not only on accent but also on demeanor. (That has been a common theme during my time at Oxford; I should write more on the topic later.) But many of the Oxford students here are not Americans, and I found myself explaining to a student from somewhere in continental Europe about where the state of New Mexico is. She thought it was part of Central America (....) and located right on the Atlantic Ocean, on the Gulf of Mexico (.................).
Another person asked me if I was from "Albuqwerqwe." Yeah, sure, I am. At least she had heard of it.
First New Mexican most anyone has ever met, let's go get this thing right.
No comments:
Post a Comment