So Oxford basically became Hogwarts tonight. Because these Harry Potter jokes and references never get old...
In other words, first formal hall at St. John's is under my belt! We filed in wearing our gowns, then a few other Rhodies and I went upstairs to the balcony seating in order to have enough space for everyone to sit together. The perks of this location: we got to look down from above as everyone rose and the High Table came in, the choir sang a brief song to open the dinner (I wish I knew what it was), and everyone sat back down along the long, quintessentially Oxford tables. A bit surreal, really, to find myself here.
Alas, the food was a first course of soup, followed chicken with gravy, potatoes, and peas -- can't the Brits get more creative than this? -- then a lemon tart for dessert. It was decent enough for British food, but I'm looking forward to sampling more formal hall menus in the coming weeks. Good thing St. John's has so many (one every night, preceded by an informal hall option)! This gown is going to get a lot of use, methinks.

No comments:
Post a Comment