This post follows right on the heels of the last one, but the two topics are so separate I figured I'd keep them that way. Last night was our formal "Coming Up Dinner" for the Rhodes Class of 2013. Held at Rhodes House every year as a traditional way to welcome in new scholars, and bookended by the "Going Down Dinner" held at the end of the year for outgoing scholars leaving Oxford/graduating/going off stipend, the Coming Up Dinner was a major event of anticipation for all of us new Rhodies. It's also a swagged-out, decked-up black tie affair evening hosted by the Rhodes Trust, and I was glad the formal dress I'd gotten over the summer proved to be up to snuff! (Thanks, Mom!)
 |
| The Rhodes Trust bird emblazons everything, and welcomed us to dinner last night |
After showering, getting dressed up, and clicking my way over to Rhodes House in heels, we settled in for a long evening of drinks, conversation, food, drinks, more conversation, group photos, and yet more drinks. (Champagne at the opening reception followed by white wine, red wine, and dessert wine at dinner, followed by port as an after-dinner treat. All with waiters coming by and liberally filling our glasses when we weren't looking. I skipped the port at the end, but let's just say that all of us were in a very good mood by the end of the night!) All the women wore a variety of lovely dresses, the men looked dashing in their tuxes, and I got to meet the Vice Chancellor of Oxford (the very man who officiated the matriculation ceremony last weekend in the Sheldonian). Many of the Rhodes Trustees were there, themselves a mixture of former Rhodes Scholars and current Oxford academics and the like. I felt the force and the flow of all the minds in the room, and honestly had a wonderful couple of conversations over dinner with the other incoming Rhodies sitting near me (no Trustees at our table, for whatever reason). And, even though the formality of the evening was beyond anything I'm used to, I could only describe it with one typically British word: lovely. I had a great time with great company, and still can't quite believe I'm here.
 |
| There are three Rachels among this year's American Rhodies -- capturing the Rachel awesomeness, black-tie style. |
No comments:
Post a Comment